Monday, May 11, 2015

The Silver Surfer VS The Inhumans by Jack Kirby



Every once in awhile, things are "as cool as you want" them to be.  Jack penciled (so we probably can also assume plotted) the final issue of one of his greatest creations.  The Silver Surfer #18 came from outta nowhere, at least for me, and , as cousin Eddie would say, "just a real nice surprise."  However!  If the hand-colored color guide of this splash is any indicator, this mag could have been even more magnificent (and don't even get me started on the Trimpe/ Severin camo tactics on the cover---"noth'n to see here, just move along, everybody move along")

2 comments:

  1. I'm lucky enough to have all 18 original issues of the Surfer series, but I think this was the weakest of the bunch, By this time, Kirby's SS was stiff and blocky, whereas Buscema imbued the character with grace and fluidity (as Jack once had). There's no denying the power of JK's work 'though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kid, you are so blessed! Besides #18, I only have a ratty copy of #4 (Buscema's best, methinks) which I always hold with my thumb over the bad edge and pretend it is pristine...sheeesh....

    ReplyDelete